Grouping Assets by Location
Adding a Location
Locations associate an Asset with a ‘home’ that can help when governing sharing policies with OBAC and ABAC. Locations do not need pinpoint precision and can be named by site, building or other logical grouping.
It may still be useful to indicate an Asset’s origin. For example, if tracking traveling consultant’s Laptops, you may still wish to associate them with a ‘home’ office.
Creating a Location
- In the Dashboard select
Add Locationin the Sidebar.
- The following screen will appear:
- Enter both the required Location Name and Address here.
- There is an option to add Extended Attributes to a Location using the
This is useful to add metadata to a Location, e.g. a site contact’s number and email address.
- Once completed and all details entered, click
- Navigate to
Manage Locationsin the Sidebar to see a list of existing Locations.
- You can inspect details using the eye symbol ( ) to the right of the Location.
Assigning a Location to an Asset
Adding at Asset Creation
- To assign a pre-existing Location to an Asset during Asset Creation you need only select it from the Location drop-down.
Adding to a pre-existing Asset
- To assign a pre-existing asset with a new Location you need to identify the Location Identity
This is found by viewing the Location once complete using the () to the right.
- Then create an Event for the Asset and specify the identity of the new Location as noted in step 1, against the
arc_home_location_identitykey, for example:
Note - You need to include the full
locations/<UUID>reference as using only the
UUIDwill not be recognized.
- In the following screenshot note the Location of our Asset has been updated.